About Me

My photo
My teaching career began 17 years ago when I decided I would finally become "What I wanted to be when I was grown-up", a teacher.  At that time I had worked for 15 years in the banking and financial industry and was even a stockbroker at one time. I returned to college and graduated with a Masters of Elementary Education from Wilmington University. I became certified to teach art and currently I teach grades PK-8.  Art is my passion and I love what I do! 

Monday, March 12, 2012

Art Imagination from Layers



I have been very inspired and excited since participating in Life Book's latest lesson with Mystele.  Mystele's lesson was different than many mixed media lessons that I have taken in that you were to use your imagination to pull figures, symbols, etc from the background after layering.  This indeed was my cup of tea! I love the creativity side and the authenticity of it (my word for 2012).  It was real and I wanted to do this again and again!  This weekend I created and finished one piece and started a second one.  I decided to do this one on a canvas board, a little larger than the 9x12 paper I had been using. So here are the step outs so far:




Writing in pencil about creativity and passion, covered with watercolor crayons.  I also got to try out my new Niji water brush, a flat one.  It worked GREAT for watering down the crayons.

Collaging papers, starting to think the dark purple is too much


Layering with acrylics swirled into a glaze mixture

Acrylics done, but it turned out much darker than I wanted

Time for another layer, Quinacridone Nickel Azo mixed in H2O to make a wash, Crafter's Workshop stencils and plain water (spritzed the plain water on the stencil while paint was still wet)

This need to be toned down.  Using the glaze&gesso&H2O mixture poured on then moved around with water spray

Mark making


More homemade color wash (pyrolle orange, quin red) and white airbrush paint

More gesso mix, this time brayered on

I see birds...again! This is my fourth painting in this style that I see some type of birds.  I don't think I have eVeR painted birds...until now because they keep coming back.

See the other two birds at the top? I saw them too.  It just called for a tree then and I wanted it to be glittery, so I used Byzantine paint.

Doodling on the tree with Glazes

And there she sits, waiting until next SatARTday!

No comments:

Post a Comment